Friday, March 27, 2009

MAC Sugar Sweet Review Part II

March 27, 2009 8:36 pm

MAC Sugar Sweet Review Part II

For Part 1 with swatches, click HERE.

This is part II of my initial review and first impressions on MAC’s Sugar Sweet collection. I fell in love with the shadesticks, and I’m still in love with them. I’d said that these new shadesticks glide like butter on the lids, and I can’t believe how much the formula had improved since the first launch of the shadesticks. I like the fact that these are just amazing eye primers, even better in my opinion that the Urban Decay primer potion and the paint pots. I also like that these come in stick form, which makes it easier to apply the product on the lower lashline to prevent any smudging of eye liner or shadow in that area. Staying power of the shadows worn over the shadesticks is also phenomenal.

The shadows are perfect for spring, but they are not that unique, in my opinion. If you don’t have these colors yet, though, they would be great additions to your collection. Aquavert and Stars N Rockets are good buys, in my opinion, including Sugar Shot, if you don’t have a decent highlighter color yet. I have a bajillion highlighters so Sugar Shot is not a must-have for me.

The tricolour lipglasses are also not must-haves for me as they are quite sheer, and I like pigmented glosses. However, if you already have a pigmented lipstick, this would be amazing to apply on top of it to lend a luscious, high-watt shine to the lips. These two colors are the best colors in the collection, in my opinion. I love the gold, beige and pink colors of these two. They might not be that pigmented, but they still contribute a soft dose of color to the puckers.


Triple Yum on the lips


Wearing Just Dessert



Peppermint Patti
is a cream minty shade that reminds me a lot of China Glaze’s For Audrey, except that the latter is on the robin’s egg-blue side, while Peppermint Patti is minty green. From afar, though, they look almost identical. Peppermint Patti is pretty albeit a bit streaky. It took me four coats to even out the color on my nails. It dried pretty quickly and the cream finish is quite smooth.


Sweet Thing is a lovely magenta-colored lipstick that I really love. It reminds me of Pomposity from the Red She Said collection. I mentioned in this blog that Pomposity looked like 80s pink to me, but I am now eating my words. I loved it so much on an MA that I scoured online to get one for myself. I love how it brightens up my complexion, and Sweet Thing gives the same effect.

Finally, my beloved MSFs! Every compact is uniquely different, as is shown in the picture above. The one on the right has more lavender/lilac shimmer, while the left one has more beige with very light lavender undertones. Both are very pretty though and can be worn in a wide variety of looks. I guess the more marbling there is, the more color you are bound to get with your MSF.

There you have it, my part deux of the Sugar Sweet review! Watch out for the Colour Ready collection review from this blog!