Friday, May 22, 2009

Do You Deserve a Break?

Do you? Of course you do. I know I certainly do, from time to time. Recently, it’s been one of those times when my workload has gotten heavier, my ability to deal with the normal stress and pressures of everyday life has been lacking, and issues that should be easier to handle seem to pile up and create huge mounds of trouble. What do you do in times like these? Me? I take a break. Sometimes all I need is a few hours away from the everyday: catch a movie, take a longer than usual walk, hop in the car and drive, call a friend, dive into a good book. All these solutions work more often than not.

And sometimes, when all else fails, and the guy who fancies himself as a good distributor of endless commonsense advice to all who seek it, has few answers…except to take a longer break away from what ails him. Like this one:

TAKE A BREAK

I consider myself a driven person, someone who, ahem, lives life 365, someone who, on a daily basis, tries to learn something new, further develop his mind, body, and spirit. Laugh, yes, as often as I can, but also someone who works long, hard hours because I not only enjoy the effort, but have lots I want to accomplish in this life and never enough time in the day to do all that I’d like to do. But there are times, as I mentioned earlier, when I HAVE to pull back, especially when all that hard work, good as it can be for the soul, starts to push back and begins to wear me down, mentally, physically, and spiritually. What do I do?

I take a break and escape to a place that is quiet, spectacular, and revitalizing. Like this place:

HOW TO…RELAX

Okay, I cheated, they’re the same place. But that’s a good thing! I am blessed that I have been able to afford, locate, and find the time to visit some of the most amazing, and relaxing, places in the world. Some free advice: You should too!

One of the principles of livelife365, besides striving to live a healthy, positive, happy, and purposeful life, is to take time to do the things you need to do for self. There is nothing selfish in working on creating a better self, a happier self, a more complete self. There IS a fine line between being self-driven and being selfish, a tightrope that we all need to precariously walk from time to time, balancing the challenges of daily life. But a tightrope that needs to be crossed nonetheless. I recently took a walk and talked about that very thing.

And then, not long after that walk, I hopped in the car and drove for hours, my amazing wife at my side, feeling the stress melt away as the roar of the ocean got closer. And then I took some time for self, in a relaxing, reinvigorating environment, and enjoyed a much needed, and merited, break.

I hope your break, if you need one, is as satisfying and revitalizing as mine was.

Until next time…

peace,

Mike